Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Sat April 5, 2014
Former Rep. Peter Wasylyk heads back to RI Statehouse
On occasion the best way to pick up Rhode Island political tidbits is to head to Boston, specifically to Fenway Park on the afternoon of the home opener, aka the Big Papi show.
As usual, former Providence Democratic state and devout Sawx fan Rep. Peter Wasylyk was in his seat near the first base line cheering on the team. During a brief conversation, he confirmed that he is going back to the Statehouse to become legal counsel to the new House Majority Leader, Rep. John DeSimone, D-North Providence.
Wasylyk, 57, served in the House from 1985 to 2011. He carved a reputation as an expert on health care and the health insurance market. A lawyer, Wasylyk is a graduate of Providence College and Suffolk University Law School. He lost his seat in a 2010 primary defeat by Ray Hull, a Democrat who currently represents District 6. Hull recently floated a trial balloon about running for mayor of the capital city this year but has decided against such a campaign.