Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Thu April 3, 2014
Fung Calls For Firing Police Captain Who Ordered Parking Ticket Blitz
Cranston Mayor Allan Fung announced Thursday that the investigation into a police parking ticket scandal has been concluded. State police confirm a Cranston police captain violated police regulations.
Fung took the podium at a press conference to break the news: “Today we are announcing the
recommendation, and that is the recommendation of termination for Cranston police captain Stephen Antonucci.”
Fung said an investigation by the Rhode Island State Police found that Antonucci ordered patrol officers to issue more parking tickets in certain city wards following a city council vote against a proposed police contract.
The patrol officers who issued those tickets won’t be disciplined because they were following orders. And Fung said the tickets have been refunded.
For his part, the Cranston police captain Antonucci has been suspended with pay under police labor laws. And he’s now entitled to a hearing that will decide his fate on the force.
Antonucci is also president of the city’s police union.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org