Most Active Stories
- Police Name Child Killed By RIPTA Bus
- TGIF: 19 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The PawSox Baseball Move to Providence: Good or Bad?
- PawSox President James Skeffington On The Case For A Providence Ballpark
Tue January 22, 2013
Fung calls on Gov. Chafee to bring diversity to RI Supreme Court
(PROVIDENCE, RI) Cranston Mayor Allan Fung called on the governor to appoint a person of color to the Rhode Island Supreme Court. Fung made the call at the annual Martin Luther King Jr Day breakfast during remarks that also gave credit to voters for electing Latino mayors in Providence and in Central Falls.
Gov. Lincoln Chafee was at the breakfast, he says he heard Fung’s call.
“In fact in the State of the State address Wednesday I talked about wanting to do more in that area,” says Chafee. “So Mayor Fung is absolutely right we always are working to improve diversity in state government in all departments.”
Chafee points to his appointment last year of Luis Matos to Superior Court. He says he’s keeping diversity in mind as he looks to fill openings in both Superior Court and Family Court.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org