Most Active Stories
- Former US Attorneys Warn of "Alarming Prospect" of Cianci Regaining City Hall
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Old Providence Or New?
- Much Of The Brown University Debate Focused On Cianci’s Past
- Bishop Tobin blasts Raimondo, advises Catholics on how to vote
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Fung, Raimondo Should Answer These Questions Before They Get Your Vote
Thu May 29, 2014
Fung Recieves Endorsement From Former Governor Lincoln Almond
Former governor Lincoln Almond Wednesday endorsed Cranston Mayor Allan Fung for the state’s top job. Almond calls Fung the best-qualified Republican in the GOP primary for governor.
Almond says he reached out to Fung after being unimpressed with a recent TV appearance by Fung’s GOP rival, Ken Block. Almond says it’s not realistic to think Block can cut a billion dollars from the state budget over four years. The former governor said Fung’s experience as a mayor is what sets him apart.
“When I speak to Allan Fung, he knows state government, he knows local government, he knows budget, he knows the economy, he knows what’s got to be done,” said Almond.
Block’s campaign manager, Jeff Britt, says Almond mischaracterized Block’s plan to cut a billion dollars in state spending. Britt says most of that money comes in non-budgetary spending. He says Block is concerned less with endorsements than winning support from Rhode Islanders. The Republican primary between Fung and Block is September 9th.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com