Most Active Stories
- Bob Kerr: We Have Seen The Best And The Worst
- RI's Brown Bird Finds A Solemn Victory On Final Album
- Learning To Respect A Patient's Wishes At The End Of Life
- Raimondo: State Wants Better Deal on PawSox' Proposed Ballpark
- PawSox Seek Meeting with Raimondo; Team Signals Flexibility After Negative Reaction to Proposal
Mon April 16, 2012
Gemma enters race for CD1
By IAN DONNIS
PROVIDENCE, RI – Businessman Anthony Gemma launched a Democratic primary challenge to Congressman David Cicilline Sunday evening. Gemma focused most of his criticism on Republican candidate Brendan Doherty.
Gemma says he plans to create jobs and change how members of Congress do their jobs, but he provided no details. He says he thinks Doherty is out of touch.
"Brendan Doherty lives in the public sector bubble," Gemma says. "He doesn't have a clue about the problems facing Rhode Islanders, let alone the solutions to the problems."
Doherty's campaign responded by calling Doherty a proven leader. Gemma didn't mention Cicilline by name. But in a thinly veiled reference to the incumbent, Gemma says he'll never have to apologize for lying to voters. Cicilline apologized last week for downplaying Providence's financial problems as he was running for Congress in 2010.
Gemma declined to take questions from reporters before quickly leaving his news conference.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.