Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Tue March 1, 2011
Gifford accepts job in D.C.
By Megan Hall
Providence, RI – The former director of the Department of Health is headed to a new job in Washington D.C. Dr. David Gifford has accepted a senior vice president position with the American Health Care Association and National Center for Assisted Living.
Dr. Gifford's new job will focus on efforts to improve the quality of care in nursing homes and assisted living centers across the country. He says it's a satisfying return to his roots as a geriatrician and advocate for improving long term care.
"Always nice to go back to your roots," he says."People talk about comfort food, this is something I enjoy doing, so I'm looking forward to it."
Gifford says he and his family will remain in Rhode Island, though he'll travel frequently to D.C.
Gifford starts the job in May. In the meantime, he's taking a bit of time off and planning a family vacation to New Jersey to watch the US soccer team play Argentina.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.