Most Active Stories
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- The paranoid opposition to RhodeMap RI
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Tue December 24, 2013
A Good Year For Rhode Island's Christmas Tree Growers
Rhode Island Christmas tree growers are reporting a profitable year.
There are about 50 Christmas tree growers in Rhode Island.
Eric Wat ne, president of the Rhode Island Christmas Tree Growers Association said it was his best year ever, with sales rising 20 percent over last year.
"We sold out. I mean we actually had to close the gates in the middle of December, and I know a lot of farmers had similar growth," said Watne. "I think nationally the sale of Christmas trees plateaued a little bit. I mean there's some evidence that it's declined a tiny bit. So I definitely think we're countering that trend in Rhode Island."
Watne estimates Christmas tree sales statewide increased five to ten percent.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com