Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
Tue December 24, 2013
A Good Year For Rhode Island's Christmas Tree Growers
Rhode Island Christmas tree growers are reporting a profitable year.
There are about 50 Christmas tree growers in Rhode Island.
Eric Wat ne, president of the Rhode Island Christmas Tree Growers Association said it was his best year ever, with sales rising 20 percent over last year.
"We sold out. I mean we actually had to close the gates in the middle of December, and I know a lot of farmers had similar growth," said Watne. "I think nationally the sale of Christmas trees plateaued a little bit. I mean there's some evidence that it's declined a tiny bit. So I definitely think we're countering that trend in Rhode Island."
Watne estimates Christmas tree sales statewide increased five to ten percent.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com