Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Mon March 4, 2013
Gov. Chafee kicks off Meals on Wheels March Campaign
Governor Lincoln Chafee joined Meals on Wheels RI today for the start of the program “March for Meals.”
The nationwide campaign works to increase the awareness of senior hunger, recruit volunteers, and draw donations.
Governor Chafee accompanied Meals on Wheels on their lunch route and personally served 2 seniors.
"This is one of those terrific government programs—largely sponsored by government, but also many volunteers involved. Helps seniors stay in their homes, which saves us money instead of getting into assisted living and nursing homes—that’s very important. It’s connectivity for the senior in their home; that somebody’s coming every day or five days a week to knock on their door and bring them a meal. And then of course they get a nutritious meal."
Meals on Wheels RI serves about 2,000 meals daily.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com