Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The War Is On Thanksgiving, Not Christmas
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Is The Mattiello-Paiva Weed Geezer Tax Cut Plan Realistic?
- Matt Jerzyk Joins Speaker Mattiello's Staff As Deputy Legal Counsel
- Sen. Bernie Sanders On How Democrats Lost White Voters
Thu August 1, 2013
Gov. Chafee: Same-Sex Marriage Will Create Jobs
Gov. Lincoln Chafee said Thursday will be a happy day in Rhode Island, now that the state’s same-sex marriage law is in effect. The governor has pushed for bringing same-sex marriage to the state since taking office. He said it will help create jobs.
“I do believe that young, creative people that want to come and do business, you just want to have a welcome mat out. I do believe it’s very, very important to growing the economy in Rhode Island," said Chafee.
Rhode Island is the last state in New England to legalize same-sex marriage. And the governor says if a gay couple asks, he’d certainly consider presiding over their wedding.
Opponents to same-sex marriage say it will destabilize traditional families.
Christopher Plante is the executive director of the Rhode Island chapter of the National Organization for Marriage.
He says the same-sex marriage law will affect future children in the state.
“Our state has chosen to codify into law the concept that a child does not need a mom and a dad. By saying marriage can be any two people, we are saying that mothers or fathers are optional," said Plante.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com