Most Active Stories
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Seth Magaziner Staffing Up With Jeff Padwa & Andrew Roos
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Tue June 18, 2013
Gov. Chafee Shrugs off Bloomberg Fundraiser for Treasurer Raimondo
Gov. Lincoln Chafee is shrugging off news that New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is holding a fundraiser this week for state Treasurer Gina Raimondo.
Bloomberg stumped for Chafee in the 2010 governor’s race calling him one of the nation’s most effective leaders. Channel 12 reports that Bloomberg is hosting a fundraiser Thursday for treasurer Gina Raimondo, who is expected to run for governor.
When asked if he was disappointed that Bloomberg was helping a potential rival, Chafee responded, “I really just focus on running the state and the politics will take care of themselves down the road.”
Bloomberg's spokesman Howard Wolfson tells Rhode Island Public Radio that Bloomberg thinks Raimondo is, "a real superstar." He said Bloomberg was impressed with the state's pension overhaul, which Raimondo lead. And that the mayor has been disappointed that Chafee hasn’t done more to promote charter schools.
Chafee said he expects fundraising to be competitive in the 2014 governor’s race. Raimondo has $1.7 million dollars in her campaign war chest.
Editor's Note: This story was updated at 5:30pm on June 18th
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org