Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Joe Paolino vs. Edie Ajello?
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Democratic Gubernatorial Candidates Start Taking Off The Gloves
Wed February 26, 2014
Gov. Lincoln Chafee Open, But Cautious About Legalizing Recreational Marijuana
Governor Lincoln Chafee sounded cautious notes about legalizing recreational marijuana, when he spoke with the Huffington Post about the potential of legalizing recreational pot in Rhode Island.
His administration saw the decriminalization of the drug in 2013, and medical marijuana has been legal for several years.
While Chafee has yet to voice full support, he said regulating recreational pot could provide the state with much-needed revenue.
“Certainly the revenue is enticing for all governors," said Chafee. "Somebody was saying to me back with the bad weather we’ve had back home, and all the potholes, we should have the revenue go to infrastructure. Pot for potholes.”
Chafee said he wants to see what the General Assembly will do with newly introduced legislation that would legalize the substance.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com