Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Fri July 19, 2013
Governor's Bay Day means free parking at RI state beaches
An old Rhode Island summer tradition – Governor’s Bay Day – will be celebrated Sunday July 28th with free parking at all state beaches.
Governor Lincoln Chafee will host an event at Colt State Park in Bristol that will feature a free neighborhood barbeque hosted by the Rhode Island Bays, Rivers and Watersheds Coordination Team. Vini Ames and Sh-Bop will provide music.
The events at Colt State Park will begin at 11 a.m. and run until 3 p.m. A farmers market, healthy cooking classes, a martial arts demonstration and a free electronics recycling drop-off are among the features.
Lite 105 and 92 Pro FM radio stations will be broadcasting from Roger Wheeler and Scarborough state beaches as part of the bay celebration.
Governor’s Bay Day has been celebrated since 1989. It began in response to the World Prodigy oil spill and to highlight the quality and fragility of Narragansett Bay.