Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Mon June 10, 2013
Governor's Move to Dem. Party Costs Support of Lifelong Friend
Gov. Lincoln Chafee’s switch to the Democratic Party has cost him one key supporter. Warwick Mayor Scott Avedisian, a longtime Chafee friend and backer, said he will not support the governor in his re-election bid.
“He’s been a lifelong friend so I’ll still be his friend but we’ll have to see what happens politically as we move forward,” said Avedisian. “I’m a Republican and I would expect to be supporting the Republican candidate.”
The only Republican who’s expressed an interest in the governorship so far is Cranston Mayor Alan Fung. Chafee changed party affiliations from independent to Democrat two weeks ago. Originally a Republican, he left the GOP because of its increasingly conservative bent.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org