Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Joe Paolino vs. Edie Ajello?
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Democratic Gubernatorial Candidates Start Taking Off The Gloves
Sun February 9, 2014
Gun-Rights Supporters Out Spent in Exeter Recall
Campaign finance records show that gun-rights supporters were outspent during the recall of four Exeter town council members back in December.
Back in December there was a special election to recall four Exeter town council members for their support of a move to take gun permitting out of the hands of the town clerk and let the attorney general’s office do the permitting.
Once a petition collected enough signatures for the recall, town citizens formed Save Exeter. Finance reports show that Save Exeter raised $5,675. Some notable contributors include Senate President Teresa Paiva Weed and candidate for state treasurer Seth Magaziner. The group reports it spent all the money.
Meanwhile, finance reports show the gun-rights group “We the People” spent $3,967 in the last quarter.
Exeter residents voted in a margin of nearly 2-1 to keep all four town councilors.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org