Most Active Stories
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Seth Magaziner Staffing Up With Jeff Padwa & Andrew Roos
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Tue June 18, 2013
Harrop Planning Third Run For Providence Mayor
A Providence psychiatrist has announced his candidacy for mayor of the capital city, and this is a man with a lot of experience running for the job.
After unsuccessful mayoral runs in 2006 and 2010, Dr. Daniel Harrop – a longtime Republican activist – is running for mayor of Providence again. As a Republican in a largely Democratic city, it will be an uphill climb. But Harrop said the city’s unfunded pension liability under the leadership of Democrats is unsustainable.
"We can’t fund the pension plan. There is no way to do that. We’ve kicked it down the road for another few years. So instead of going under in four, maybe we’ll go under in seven or eight [years]. That’s not a way to run the city," said Harrop.
Harrop is the first Republican to announce his candidacy for Providence mayor. Democrats pondering a run include lobbyist Brett Smiley, City Council President Michael Solomon and Central Falls educator Victor Capellan.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org