Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Fri May 23, 2014
Healthsource RI Needs $4.6M For 2015
Rhode Island's health insurance exchange HealthSource RI says it needs $4.6 million dollars to keep running through fiscal year 2015.
The money would need to come from the state. HealthSource RI director Christine Ferguson says the money would cover the program's operating costs, and will allow federal funding to cover program development.
Some lawmakers have called for Rhode Island to end the state program and join the federal exchange. Ferguson says that would be a bad decision for the state; limiting residents' healthcare options and forcing them to pay an eventual fee embedded in federal premiums.
Ferguson says she's been in talks with both the Senate and House finance committees to find ways of coming up with the money. Meanwhile legislation has already been introduced in the General Assembly concerning whether to continue funding HealthSource RI.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org