Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
Mon December 2, 2013
Herb DeSimone Sr. and Richard Nixon
Herb DeSimone was a respected Rhode Island Republican politician and lawyer. He died last week after a long and distinguished career in the law and politics, having served as RI Attorney General, in the federal government during Richard Nixon’s administration and twice was the GOP’s standard bearer for governor.
Said Gov. Lincoln Chafee: ``He was one of the original members of my father's (John Chafee) team. A long-time beloved colleague and family friend, he proudly served our state. During one of his two campaigns for governor, he proposed economic initiatives that years later became a reality and improved Rhode Island.''
DeSimone also had a role in the infamous White House tapes that helped put the coffin nail in Nixon’s presidency during the Watergate years of the 1970s. DeSimone was mentioned in one of the backstage at the White House tapes that provided such a delicious window into the workings of Nixon’s presidency.
For a tour down memory lane, click here: