Most Active Stories
- TGIF: 19 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The PawSox Baseball Move to Providence: Good or Bad?
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The Myth Of Rhode Island's Generous Programs For The Poor
- PawSox President James Skeffington On The Case For A Providence Ballpark
- Settlement Presented In Pension Case; May 18 Deadline For Implementation
Thu April 10, 2014
House Oversight Committee Meets For First Time With New Leadership
The House Oversight Committee will hold its first meeting Thursday since recently getting a new chairwoman. The new chair has been a sharp critic of paying back bondholders who invested in failed video game company 38 Studios.
After winning his post last month, House Speaker Nicholas Mattiello ousted his rival for the speakership, Michael Marcello, from the chairmanship of House Oversight. He replaced Marcello with Representative Karen MacBeth of Cumberland, who sharply criticized last year’s payment to bondholders in 38 Studios.
The Oversight committee is slated to discuss the status of a hearing related to 38 Studios set for Superior Court Friday. The topics include the potential release of depositions and the possibility of witnesses appearing before the Oversight Committee if they have not already been deposed.
Rhode Island taxpayers remain on the hook for about $90 million due to the failure of former Red Sox star Curt Schilling’s former video game company.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org