Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
Fri October 25, 2013
Hubble The Seal Swims Free Off The Rhode Island Coast
Hubble the seal is swimming free Friday after spending the summer recovering from injuries at the Mystic Aquarium.
Hubble’s journey began on a beach in Maine where researchers found him abandoned by his mother. He made his way to the Mystic Aquarium, and researchers fattened him up and treated problems with his eyes. Those eyes, said the Mystic Aquarium’s Skip Graf, were what made the curious, young seal so special.
“We called him ‘the supervisor’ at times. If something novel was happening outside of the routine he’d be there peaking over the edge of the pool,” said Graf. “But if you turned and looked back at him he’d turn and swim off like, ‘nah, I wasn’t watching you.’”
Hubble was released from Blue Shutters Beach. Graf’s hope is that Hubble joins up with other harbor seals off the Rhode Island coast and lives a long and happy life.