Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Wed April 10, 2013
This I Believe RI: A Tall Treasure
Even for the most seasoned Rhode Islanders, the Ocean State harbors lots of savory secrets, some tucked away in the folds of South County's farmland and others in Woonsocket's triple deckers. Within our roughly 1,000 square miles we are surrounded by a wonderful mix of compelling scenes and sounds that help shape our lives. This encore poem by Rhode Island's poet laureate emeritus, Tom Chandler, about a tall treasure in Foster that is part of who we are.
Tom Chandler is poet laureate of Rhode Island emeritus and associate professor of creative writing at Bryant University. He has been named Phi Beta Kappa Poet at Brown University and has been a featured poet at the Robert Frost homestead. Chandler is the author of five books of poetry, including his most recent, Toy Firing Squad. His work has been published in Poetry, Boulevard, The New York Quarterly, The Christian Science Monitor, and many other journals.