Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
Wed May 15, 2013
This I Believe RI: Unique Families
What does the word ‘family’ mean to you? Does it conjure up images of the proverbial mom and dad with their offspring, or do you have a more elastic sense of what family is all about? On this we would all agree: Family is an essential cornerstone in our lives. In his early twentieth-century masterpiece, The Life of Reason, the philosopher and poet George Santayana said, "The family is one of nature's masterpieces." And as we hear from 12-year-old Matt Lannon, what matters ultimately is how each of us understands what family means in our own unique lives.
Matthew Lannon is a 12 year old sixth-grader at the Wheeler School in Providence. He recently testified in favor of same-sex marriage before the House and Senate Judiciary Committees in Rhode Island in support of his family. The legislation was signed by Rhode Island’s governor on May 2, 2013.