Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Tue June 7, 2011
Israel trade mission
By IAN DONNIS
PROVIDENCE, RI – Governor Lincoln Chafee plans to lead a week-long trade mission to Israel in November to bolster economic development in Rhode Island.
The Chafee administration says the trade mission will be the first led by a governor since former governor Lincoln Almond. State economic development director Keith Stokes calls Israel a good destination since it overlaps with successful parts of Rhode Island's economy.
"We certainly have the opportunity to build upon our life science higher education research universities," says Chafee. "Some of the finest in the world are clustered right here in Providence and also in Israel. We also have an opportunity to build upon our defense-technology industry."
Chafee says the trade mission is meant to spark job growth through increased exports to Israel and investment from that country in Rhode Island.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.