Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Joe Paolino vs. Edie Ajello?
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Democratic Gubernatorial Candidates Start Taking Off The Gloves
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Newport City Manager Cites Difficult City Council In Decision To Step Down
Thu September 26, 2013
It's a Sweet America’s Cup Victory for Sail Newport
Thursday is an especially sweet day for Sail Newport. It’s not only celebrating the Oracle Team USA win over New Zealand for the America’s Cup, but today is also Sail Newport’s 30th anniversary.
The public sailing center was formed almost immediately after America lost the cup to Australia in the waters off Newport. Sail Newport Executive Director Brad Read couldn’t be more thrilled with the timing of the America’s Cup win.
“In the grand scheme of things, there’s only been one other quote ‘race of the century’ in sailing and that was 30 years ago today when Australia II beat Liberty and took the America’s Cup from America,” said Read. “That was the race of the century the last century and this was the race of the century obviously in a young century.”
Newport hosted the America’s Cup World Series last year. Read said this American win could bring another pre-event back to the Ocean State.
Sail Newport is celebrating its 30th anniversary with yacht tours and a sailing festival on Saturday.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org