Most Active Stories
- TGIF: 19 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The PawSox Baseball Move to Providence: Good or Bad?
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The Myth Of Rhode Island's Generous Programs For The Poor
- PawSox President James Skeffington On The Case For A Providence Ballpark
- Settlement Presented In Pension Case; May 18 Deadline For Implementation
Thu June 19, 2014
Kerrie Bennett leaving URI for Delta Dental
Kerrie Bennett, director of legislative and government relations for the University of Rhode Island, is leaving to take an executive post at Delta Dental, the dental insurer.
Bennett, who has been at URI for two and a half years, will start at Delta Dental next month, she said in a brief interview. ``I loved it here,’’ said Bennett, a Cranston native who still lives in the city. She said she was proud to work on such projects as the shared URI-Rhode Island College Providence nursing school proposal, the university’s neuroscience initiative and winning legislative approval for Gov. Lincoln Chafee’s plan to ask voters to approve bonding for a new engineering school at the Kingston campus.
``It was a great experience, we really got a lot accomplished,’’ said Bennett. Bennett said that she is leaving the post for a new job at the health insurer because it is a ``great opportunity to work for a great corporate citizen.’’
Her new title will be vice-president of marketing and communications. She is taking the position of Kathryn Shanley (sister of Providence College President Rev. Brian Shanley), the well-regarded executive who is retiring.
Bennett is a graduate of Mount Holyoke College and holds a master’s degree from URI. She is a former staffer for U.S. Sen. Jack Reed and served as press secretary for former U.S. Rep. Patrick Kennedy.