Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rhody Votes '14: Republicans for Governor Debate
Tue September 20, 2011
Lawmakers call for Dan Gordon to resign
By IAN DONNIS
PROVIDENCE, RI – House Speaker Gordon Fox and other lawmakers are calling for the resignation of Representative Dan Gordon following revelations about Gordon's criminal record.
State police arrested Gordon over the weekend on a charge of operating a car with a suspended license. It was later revealed Gordon had served prison time in Massachusetts for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. He also has a record of driving infractions in the Bay State.
Fox says this information is - quote - "so distracting and so disappointing" that Gordon should step down. Fox says the freshman Republican from Portsmouth needs to get his own house in order before serving in public office.
Gordon last year won the seat vacated when former Tiverton rep John Loughlin ran for Congress. Gordon is the third state lawmaker to be arrested this year. The other two are Democrat Leo Medina and Republican Robert Watson.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.