Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Tue May 22, 2012
Layoffs at 38 Studios
By IAN DONNIS
PROVIDENCE, RI – Troubled video game maker 38 Studios has laid off an unspecified number of employees. Governor Lincoln Chafee revealed the information after a meeting Monday night between 38 Studios' owner, Curt Schilling, and the board of the state Economic Development Corporation.
Chafee says the EDC board's discussion with Schilling included details on payroll and layoffs. The governor pointed to a confidentiality agreement in declining to provide more details on the job cuts.
"I know the taxpayers want more answers, they'll get them over time," Chafee says. "All I can promise is working hard to protect every penny of the investment that was made."
The EDC board didn't vote on any actions involving 38 Studios after meeting in a closed session for more than two hours. Schilling emerged to deny asking for more taxpayer money, and he said his company's struggles had been mischaracterized. Schilling pushed past reporters while saying this and sped off in a waiting SUV.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.