Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
Fri February 7, 2014
Local Republican Calls On Rhode Islanders To Consider GOP Gubenatorial Candidates
A leading Rhode Island Republican is calling on GOP voters to keep an open mind about their two choices in this year’s primary.
By using his Facebook page, former gubernatorial candidate John Robitaille is urging GOP voters to focus on deciding whether Allan Fung or Ken Block has the best plan for moving Rhode Island forward. He says the candidates’ courage and personal authenticity are more important than internal politics within the state Republican Party.
In 2010, Block got six and a half percent of the vote for governor while running as a Moderate, and some Robitaille supporters blamed Block for Robitaille’s close loss to Lincoln Chafee. But in his Facebook post, Robitaille says 2010 is in the past, and he’s, quote, “broken off the rear view mirror.”
Robitaille’s call for a wait-and-see approach is a victory for Block. That’s because his opponent, Fung, started as the favorite in the Republican primary for governor.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org