Most Active Stories
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Seth Magaziner Staffing Up With Jeff Padwa & Andrew Roos
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Fri December 6, 2013
Maeda's Fundraising Numbers
As he prepares to step down, Rhode Island School of Design President John Maeda has been touting his record as a fundraiser. RISD has provided the following numbers to RIPR in support of his claim:
- 2012 was a record fundraising year for RISD, with $6.9 million raised, an increase of 85% over the previous year.
- Cash giving to the RISD Annual Fund was up more than 33% in FY2012 compared with FY2011.
- Scholarship fundraising reached $2.2 million in FY12, twice the prior year.
- Since President Maeda's arrival, there have been as many donors of $100K or more to scholarships, as there had been in the entire pre-2009 history of RISD, and twice the number of six-figure scholarship donors among alumni. This includes a $100,000 donation from Maeda himself to spur the scholarship fundraising campaign.
Although tuition prices at RISD have continued to climb during Maeda's tenure, school officials say the rate of increase has been below average when compared to other similar schools. Students of color currently make of 27.5% of RISD students, a 9% increase from five years ago.