Mass. woman stung 500 times by yellow jackets
Providence, R.I. – Fire officials in Attleboro say a woman was stung more than 500 times after disturbing a yellow jackets' nest on her property.
Capt. Tim Birch says firefighters responding to the woman's home on Sunday used a carbon dioxide chemical fire extinguisher in an attempt to blast the swarm of insects away, but it wasn't enough, and three firefighters were treated for stings.
Birch tells The Sun Chronicle that even paramedics in the ambulance that took the 53-year-old woman to Sturdy Memorial Hospital, and even emergency room personnel, had to deal with angry bugs. He did not publicly identify the woman, but said she remains hospitalized.
Firefighters went back to locate the hive, but couldn't find it. They believe it is underground.
Information from: The Sun Chronicle, http://www.thesunchronicle.com