Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Joe Paolino vs. Edie Ajello?
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Democratic Gubernatorial Candidates Start Taking Off The Gloves
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Newport City Manager Cites Difficult City Council In Decision To Step Down
Tue May 13, 2014
May Is Awareness Month
Awareness of what, you ask?
So many conditions and issues I was losing track! It seems a particularly popular month for awareness raising. So, I decided to start a running list of what's happening. Each of these issues touches Rhode Island in some way - some more than others. So I've also done a little digging to find one standout statistic on each issue.
- Hepatitis Awareness Month (did you know: the RI Dept. of Health estimates nearly 21,000 Rhode Islanders are living with chronic hepatitis C infections?)
- Asthma Awareness Month (did you know: nearly 10% of kids in the Northeast US have asthma?)
- Mental Health Awareness Month (did you know: Rhode Island's rates of substance abuse, among adults and kids between ages 12 -18, is higher than the national average? See SAMHSA's most recent "behavioral health barometer" for Rhode Island.)
- Williams Syndrome Awareness Month (did you know: Williams Syndrome affects an estimated 20 - 30,000 Americans, according to the Williams Syndrome Association? The WAS describes the syndrome as "a genetic condition that is present at birth and can affect anyone...characterized by ...cardiovascular disease, developmental delays, and learning disabilities...side by side with striking verbal abilities, highly social personalities and an affinity for music.")
Did you know: Black Rhode Islanders are far likelier to die from stroke than whites, Hispanics, or Native Americans? Check out this interactive stroke and heart disease map from the CDC.
- National Stroke Awareness Month (did you know: black Rhode Islanders are far likelier to die from stroke than whites, Hispanics, or Native Americans? Check out this interactive stroke and heart disease map from the CDC.)
- National Melanoma/Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month (did you know: skin cancer rates have climbed nearly 20% in Rhode Island over the past decade, according to CDC data (CDC WONDER)?)
- National Physical Fitness and Sports Month (did you know: Rhode Islanders are the least physically active of all New Englanders, according to a recent survey?)