Most Active Stories
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Seth Magaziner Staffing Up With Jeff Padwa & Andrew Roos
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Mon July 11, 2011
Mayor Angel Taveras happy about child
By FLO JONIC
PROVIDENCE, RI –
Providence Mayor Angel Taveras is defending his decision to have a child out of wedlock.
At an anti-crime rally in the city's Armory district yesterday (Sunday), Providence Mayor Angel Taveras received congratulations over his imminent fatherhood and got some practice in communicating with one-year-olds.
"How are you?" asks Taveras. "Oh he's happy. He's happy here because he's got a bottle. He's drooling. He's having a good time here."
But not everyone is applauding the Mayor s decision to have a child out of wedlock. Some reader comments published by the Providence Journal have called the move "irresponsible" and have accused him of setting a bad example. To his critics, Taveras has this to say:
"I think a 40 year old who has a degree in law and owns his own home and has taken responsibility for his or her child and has made a firm commitment to be responsible for that child's emotional, physical and financial well being I think that's responsible."
Asked if his child will attend public schools, Taveras, himself a product of the city school system, says, "That will be a decision we'll make in the future but I expect so."
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.