Most Active Stories
- CVS To Offer Overdose Antidote Narcan Without Prescription
- Providence Capital Grille Moving
- Raimondo creates Narragansett Brewing jobs in New York, Massachusetts not R.I.
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The Providence Mayoral Campaign 11th Hour Scramble
- Smiley Ends Mayoral Campaign and Puts Support Behind Elorza
Thu June 12, 2014
New $6M In Federal Funding For TF Green Runway Expansion
Federal dollars are heading to Warwick to relocate ball fields as part of TF Green’s runway expansion.
The ball fields at Winslow Park need to be moved so the airport can extend the main runway by a little more than 1,500 feet. That extra stretch of runway will allow for the larger, heavier planes that fly coast to coast and overseas.
The runway expansion has been controversial, with opponents concerned about the effects of noise and air pollution from the larger jets on residents and nearby school children.
The $6 million coming from the Federal Aviation Administration will help pay to build four softball fields, two practice fields, three soccer fields, walking trails and a concession stand. The project is expected to be done by the end of June 2015.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org
The Bottom Line