Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rhody Votes '14: Republicans for Governor Debate
Thu June 12, 2014
New $6M In Federal Funding For TF Green Runway Expansion
Federal dollars are heading to Warwick to relocate ball fields as part of TF Green’s runway expansion.
The ball fields at Winslow Park need to be moved so the airport can extend the main runway by a little more than 1,500 feet. That extra stretch of runway will allow for the larger, heavier planes that fly coast to coast and overseas.
The runway expansion has been controversial, with opponents concerned about the effects of noise and air pollution from the larger jets on residents and nearby school children.
The $6 million coming from the Federal Aviation Administration will help pay to build four softball fields, two practice fields, three soccer fields, walking trails and a concession stand. The project is expected to be done by the end of June 2015.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org
The Bottom Line