Most Active Stories
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- The paranoid opposition to RhodeMap RI
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Thu June 12, 2014
New $6M In Federal Funding For TF Green Runway Expansion
Federal dollars are heading to Warwick to relocate ball fields as part of TF Green’s runway expansion.
The ball fields at Winslow Park need to be moved so the airport can extend the main runway by a little more than 1,500 feet. That extra stretch of runway will allow for the larger, heavier planes that fly coast to coast and overseas.
The runway expansion has been controversial, with opponents concerned about the effects of noise and air pollution from the larger jets on residents and nearby school children.
The $6 million coming from the Federal Aviation Administration will help pay to build four softball fields, two practice fields, three soccer fields, walking trails and a concession stand. The project is expected to be done by the end of June 2015.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org
The Bottom Line