Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
The Education Blog
Tue July 16, 2013
New Appointments at RISD, URI
The Rhode Island School of Design in Providence has named Carol Strohecker as the new Vice Provost for Academic Affairs. Strohecker comes from a position as Director of the University of North Carolina’s multi-campus Center for Design Innovation, according to RISD officials.
The University of Rhode Island has a new public safety director. Stephen Baker, a former Westerly police chief, takes the job after a high-profile gun scare on the university campus in April and a controversial decision to allow campus police to carry guns.
URI also announced this week that Associate Dean of the School of Oceanography Dennis Nixon has been selected to lead the Rhode Island Sea Grant Program. The program, a partnership between the state and federal governments, involves research related to marine environments, coastal management, fisheries, aquaculture and seafood safety and quality.