Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Newport City Manager Cites Difficult City Council In Decision To Step Down
Mon October 28, 2013
New Development Brings Dozens of Affordable Homes To North Kingstown
Affordable homes are going up in North Kingstown. The North Cove development is a collection of 38 affordable rental homes just outside Wickford Village. Richard Godfrey, Executive Director of Rhode Island Housing, said there’s a demand for affordable housing outside the state’s urban core.
North Kingstown is one of first suburban communities to make 10 percent of its housing stock affordable housing, said Godfrey. “In North Kingstown to the extent that they work either at Quonset or along the Route 1 corridor, that’s where a lot of the jobs are,” he said. “So it’s good because people are closer to their jobs, and also it gets people outside our more densely packed urban neighborhoods.”
Godfrey said construction is wrapping up at the North Cove development and it should be full of residents by April.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org