Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Joe Paolino vs. Edie Ajello?
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Democratic Gubernatorial Candidates Start Taking Off The Gloves
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Newport City Manager Cites Difficult City Council In Decision To Step Down
Mon June 24, 2013
New Girls Scouts of Rhode Island Headquarters to Open in Warwick
The CEO of the Girl Scouts of America will be in Warwick Thursday to help the local council celebrate the opening of its new headquarters. It will provide more than just office space.
The sign on the Charles Street building in Providence still says “Girl Scouts of Rhode Island” but they haven’t been there in weeks. The organization has moved to the old Ski Mart building on Greenwich Avenue in Warwick. Jean McGrane, CEO of the Rhode Island council of the Girl Scouts, said it gives them twice as much space as they had in Providence.
"Like night and day. For those who knew the old Ski Mart building, it’s been a total transformation. So where you had a clothes environment with very little light now you have lots of light, lots of air, lots of energy that helps support what I call creativity," said McGrane.
The organization plans to dedicate half of its new space to a Leadership Institute for girls. Research done by the Girl Scouts shows that 61 percent of girls are either deeply ambivalent about leadership or say it’s not important to them at all.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org