Most Active Stories
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Seth Magaziner Staffing Up With Jeff Padwa & Andrew Roos
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Fri December 13, 2013
New HealthSource RI Data: Older Enrollees, Fewer Than Expected
A bit more than 2600 Rhode Islanders have signed up for health insurance coverage through HealthSource RI. That's a fraction of everyone who’s eligible-- 2%, to be exact, of the estimated 125,000 uninsured Rhode Islanders who could sign up for coverage on Rhode Island’s health insurance exchange.
HealthSource RI released enrollment data through November that shows 2,649 people have enrolled in commercial health insurance plans and less than half have paid their first month’s premium. More than 5200 people have enrolled in Medicaid. And one more number: 26 small businesses have signed up for plans, representing more than 700 employees.
This is also the first time HealthSource RI has broken down the demographics. The vast majority of enrollees are middle aged, and most qualified for some federal assistance to pay for their health plan.