Most Active Stories
- Police Name Child Killed By RIPTA Bus
- TGIF: 19 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The PawSox Baseball Move to Providence: Good or Bad?
- PawSox President James Skeffington On The Case For A Providence Ballpark
Mon February 4, 2013
New program pairs addiction recovery and exercise
A new partnership between The Providence Center and the Greater Providence YMCA launches today to help people recovering from drug addiction lead healthier lives. The second Anchor Recovery Community Center is now open for business.
The first Anchor Recovery center opened in Pawtucket two years ago as Rhode Island’s first drop-in, community center for people in recovery from drug and alcohol addiction. Since then, more than 125,000 visitors have taken advantage of the center’s 12-step meetings, case management, lending library and more. Now, The Providence Center is opening its second Anchor Recovery center, this time on the YMCA’s Kent County campus in Warwick. The partnership will allow clients to become members of the Y while working on their recovery. And both agencies say the idea is to promote a wide range of healthy habits. Recent research from the National Institute on Drug Abuse shows that exercise has been shown not only to prevent substance abuse but curb relapse rates.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org