Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Tue July 30, 2013
Newport Church to Hold Service Celebrating Same-Sex Marriage in RI
Channing Memorial Church in Newport will hold, as they’d call it, a service of celebration for the first day of marriage equality in Rhode Island this Thursday, August 1st. The event will include music, a brief listing of same-sex couples from the past thru the present and a number of different readings, including passages from the Supreme Court’s decision that struck down the Defense of Marriage Act.
Rev. Dr. F. Jay Deacon, the senior minister of Channing Memorial Church, says that this service is an exciting turning point in history because equal rights for same-sex couples have come so far. He adds that, while this is an extraordinary moment for supporters of equality, there is still a long road ahead.
“Well, I want people to get the sense that we’re in motion and, also, to see this as a sign of hope. That religion can be either an engine of the evolution of human consciousness or it can be a lock that just holds us to the past. We get to decide that.”
The service will begin at 6:30 p.m. followed by a reception at the Hotel Viking, which is walking distance from the church. For more information, visit channingchurch.org.