Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
Wed November 20, 2013
Newport Readies For 2015 Volvo Ocean Race
Sailing officials from around the globe are in Newport this week getting ready for the next Volvo Ocean Race. The race starts in October of 2014 and makes a stop in Newport in May of 2015. This will be the only North American stop. Discover Newport CEO Evan Smith said the race will deliver exposure that will pay off for years to come.
“As people see the events on TV, follow it on their iPhone, people are going to be inspired to visit the state. So the impact is going to be measured not only during the event time period but also the allure and the inspiration that people get to come to a beautiful place like this one, two, three, four years after," said Smith
Newport beat out Baltimore. Evans said Miami was the North American stop in the last Volvo Ocean Race three years ago.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com