Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
Wed November 20, 2013
Newport Readies For 2015 Volvo Ocean Race
Sailing officials from around the globe are in Newport this week getting ready for the next Volvo Ocean Race. The race starts in October of 2014 and makes a stop in Newport in May of 2015. This will be the only North American stop. Discover Newport CEO Evan Smith said the race will deliver exposure that will pay off for years to come.
“As people see the events on TV, follow it on their iPhone, people are going to be inspired to visit the state. So the impact is going to be measured not only during the event time period but also the allure and the inspiration that people get to come to a beautiful place like this one, two, three, four years after," said Smith
Newport beat out Baltimore. Evans said Miami was the North American stop in the last Volvo Ocean Race three years ago.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org