Most Active Stories
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Seth Magaziner Staffing Up With Jeff Padwa & Andrew Roos
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Thu June 19, 2014
No Criminal Charges To Be Filed Against The Central Coventry Fire District
The Rhode Island State Police and the Attorney General have concluded their investigation into beleaguered Central Coventry fire district. There are no pending criminal charges.
The Central Coventry Fire district, which operates fire and emergency services for part of the town, has been in receivership since fall of 2012. The investigation into the district began at the request of the town of Coventry, and looked into possible criminal actions that may have led to the district’s financial crisis. Investigators did not find any evidence of that, but did find a tax error which led to a $1.6 million deficiency in the budget.
In February a Superior Court Judge ordered the liquidation of the fire district, but the state has since taken over.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com