Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rhody Votes '14: Republicans for Governor Debate
Thu June 19, 2014
No Criminal Charges To Be Filed Against The Central Coventry Fire District
The Rhode Island State Police and the Attorney General have concluded their investigation into beleaguered Central Coventry fire district. There are no pending criminal charges.
The Central Coventry Fire district, which operates fire and emergency services for part of the town, has been in receivership since fall of 2012. The investigation into the district began at the request of the town of Coventry, and looked into possible criminal actions that may have led to the district’s financial crisis. Investigators did not find any evidence of that, but did find a tax error which led to a $1.6 million deficiency in the budget.
In February a Superior Court Judge ordered the liquidation of the fire district, but the state has since taken over.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com