Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
Thu November 7, 2013
No Earbuds Allowed: 5 Songs For Commuting By Bicycle
Originally published on Wed November 13, 2013 11:49 am
Ari Shapiro is wrapping up his tenure covering the White House for NPR and is about to make the transition to a new role as NPR's London correspondent. To distract him from readying himself for the big move, NPR Music asked him for this playlist.
I ride my bike to work every morning, and one of the scariest things I see is people with earbuds in their ears, but no helmet in sight. That's not me, I swear. I always wear a helmet, and I never wear headphones or earbuds. Cars are unpredictable! Bicyclists need to be aware of their surroundings!
But I confess that I sometimes tuck my iPhone into the inside pocket of my suit jacket and turn on the volume just loud enough for me to hear it as I ride. I love Morning Edition, but it doesn't carry over the sound of traffic. And I want to listen to something that will make me start the workday feeling happy. So here are five songs that make me pick up the pace and gird myself for a day of battles at the White House.