Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The R.I. And Mass. Casino Conundrum
Wed February 27, 2013
NRA lobbyist comes to RI
The debate over how to respond to gun-related violence is heating up at the Statehouse. A lobbyist for the National Rifle Association is slated to brief state reps Wednesday.
NRA lobbyist Darin Goens will offer a briefing at the request of Woonsocket Representative Lisa Baldelli Hunt. The discussion comes as the Assembly is expected to consider a series of gun-related bills later this session.
One of those bills is already sparking debate. Legislation sponsored by Middletown Rep Linda Finn would require guns to be registered, along with a 100 dollar fee. Gun rights activists call those requirements a violation of the Second Amendment.
Some lawmakers say new measures are needed to avert gun violence after the shooting last year in Newtown, Connecticut. But others say the focus should be on enforcing existing laws.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org