Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Gatehouse Media Targeting Unidentified Number of Buyouts at ProJo
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Hillary Clinton Slated To Come To RI For Mid-June Fundraiser
- TGIF: 18 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Wed July 16, 2014
Obama Appoints Coderre As Senior Advisor In Substance Abuse And Mental Health Services
The chief of staff for the state senate president will join the Obama Administration as a senior advisor for a federal agency that tries to reduce substance abuse.
Tom Coderre will work on programs and policies that try to reduce the impact of substance abuse and mental illness for the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. The agency is part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Coderre has been active in working on issues involving substance abuse and mental illness for quite some time. He served as board chair for the Rhode Island Communities for Addiction Recovery Efforts. He was also the national field director of Faces & Voices of Recovery based in Washington, D.C.
Coderre has served as chief of staff for Teresa Paiva Weed since 2009. He also served in the Rhode Island Senate from 1995 to 2003.