Most Active Stories
- TGIF: 19 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The PawSox Baseball Move to Providence: Good or Bad?
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The Myth Of Rhode Island's Generous Programs For The Poor
- PawSox President James Skeffington On The Case For A Providence Ballpark
- Settlement Presented In Pension Case; May 18 Deadline For Implementation
Wed April 2, 2014
Oso Mudslide: As List Of Missing Shrinks, Death Toll Rises
Originally published on Wed April 2, 2014 2:45 pm
This post will be updated as news comes in.
Here is some of the latest news from Oso, Wash., the tiny community north of Seattle that was devastated by a mudslide on March 22:
-- Death Toll At 29: Authorities say the number of confirmed fatalities as of this morning was 29. (We updated that figure at 11:15 a.m. ET.)
-- Three Names Added To List Of Fatalities: The Snohomish County Medical Examiner's office has now identified the remains of 22 people, and their families have been notified. Three names were added to that somber list on Tuesday.
-- Number of Missing Stands At 20: Two of the victims identified on Tuesday had been on the list of those missing since the mudslide. With their fates now confirmed, the number of people not accounted for stands at 20.
-- "Oso: A Tight-Knit Community Takes Care Of Its Own." (KUOW)
-- "Engineers considering new river channel around slide." (KING5-TV)
-- "Funeral home faced with heartbreaking task." (KOMONews.com)
-- "Crews battle horrific conditions as they search Washington mudslide site." (CBS News)