Most Active Stories
- Experts To Brief Lawmakers On Hep C In RI; Cost Of Treatment Likely To Come Up During Budget Talks
- Former Speaker Gordon Fox Pleads Guilty to Bribery, Wire Fraud & Filing a False Tax Return
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Raimondo's Budget Challenges And Secrecy
- Fox Broke Statehouse Iron Rule
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Fri July 26, 2013
Portsmouth Girl Was Victim of Internet Predator
Portsmouth police said a girl who went missing Wednesday, but has since been found alive, was the victim of an internet predator.
Portsmouth police said the 13-year-old was found alive at 1:00 am Thursday in an apartment in Haskell, New Jersey. The man who allegedly took her there, 27-year-old Daniel Berger, has been charged with transporting a minor with intent to engage in criminal sexual activity. Police said Botelho went with Berger willingly but that he should have known she was a minor just by looking at her.
Portsmouth interim Police Chief Jeffrey Furtado tried to allay the concerns of local residents.
"To our citizens I would like to say that they should rest assured knowing our community is safe. They should know that this was not a random act or a child snatching. It appears that the victim and the suspect were known to each other and had some form of prior communication," said Furtado.
Furtado said the man and girl met on the internet. The girl has been reunited with her family. Police would not comment on her physical or emotional state.
Editor's note: The girl's name has been removed from this story since she is now identified as the victim of an alleged sexual assault.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com