Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The R.I. And Mass. Casino Conundrum
Fri October 4, 2013
For-Profit Medical Marijuana Consultancy Applies for License
Rhode Island authorities are considering a new application for permission to open a medical marijuana consultancy. B & B Consulting bills itself as a first-of-its-kind medical marijuana "evaluation center."
B & B’s application says it hopes to help patients navigate the state’s medical marijuana program and find appropriate services. Its physicians would evaluate patients to determine whether or not they qualify for the state’s medical marijuana program. And then the firm would advise patients on finding a licensed dispensary – or compassion center – and other aspects of the state’s medical marijuana program. To date, only two medical marijuana compassion centers are licensed and operating in Rhode Island. And only certain health care providers can certify patients as eligible for medical marijuana. B & B would be the first such for-profit consultancy in the state if approved. The department of health will hold a hearing on the firm’s proposal next Thursday.