Most Active Stories
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Seth Magaziner Staffing Up With Jeff Padwa & Andrew Roos
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Wed August 14, 2013
Providence Bishop Announces Republican Party Affiliation
The Bishop of Providence, Thomas Tobin, said he has become a registered Republican.
Tobin told a group of Rhode Island Young Republicans he blamed himself and the Catholic Church for the legalization of same-sex marriage.
He also said Catholic lawmakers at the State house quote “let us down.”
The Dioceses of Providence wrote a "Letter to Catholics on the Approval of Same-Sex Marriage" which was published in the newspaper, Rhode Island Catholic Newspaper following the passage in May.
The Bishop said he decided to switch his party affiliation in 2012 because the Democratic Party’s views on abortion and same-sex marriage did not match up with his faith.
Tobin has been a vocal opponent of same-sex marriage, and defended his political outspokenness saying it applies the teaching of the church to current issues.
NOTE: This post has been corrected to state that the Dioceses issued a "Letter to Catholics" on same-sex marriage, which constitutes a statement.
Same-Sex Marriage Legislation