Most Active Stories
- Experts To Brief Lawmakers On Hep C In RI; Cost Of Treatment Likely To Come Up During Budget Talks
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Raimondo's Budget Challenges And Secrecy
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Alexander-Scott Nominated To Lead Health Dept.
- Gordon Fox: Financial Problems at the Apex of Political Power in RI
The Education Blog
Thu September 26, 2013
Providence College Reschedules Same Sex Marriage Talk
Did we say the talk was cancelled? We should have said postponed.
That was the message from Providence College Provost Hugh Lena, who sent an email to the college community on Wednesday. The note says the college is working to reschedule same-sex marriage supporter John Corvino of Wayne State University, who has agreed to appear alongside same-sex marriage opponent Sherif Girgis, a doctoral student and law student from Princeton.
PC originally said it was cancelling the talk, scheduled for Thursday, telling Corvino that a faculty member would not be ready in time to present an opposing argument. As a Catholic institution, PC said, the college should provide both sides of such a controversial topic.
In his email, Lena apologizes to PC Professor Dana Dillon for the comment, saying he meant that Dillon, who is a member of the Theology Department, would not be qualified to address the legal side of Corvino’s argument.
Providence College says organizers are hoping to find a date during the spring semester to hold the same-sex marriage debate.