Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
The Education Blog
Thu September 26, 2013
Providence College Reschedules Same Sex Marriage Talk
Did we say the talk was cancelled? We should have said postponed.
That was the message from Providence College Provost Hugh Lena, who sent an email to the college community on Wednesday. The note says the college is working to reschedule same-sex marriage supporter John Corvino of Wayne State University, who has agreed to appear alongside same-sex marriage opponent Sherif Girgis, a doctoral student and law student from Princeton.
PC originally said it was cancelling the talk, scheduled for Thursday, telling Corvino that a faculty member would not be ready in time to present an opposing argument. As a Catholic institution, PC said, the college should provide both sides of such a controversial topic.
In his email, Lena apologizes to PC Professor Dana Dillon for the comment, saying he meant that Dillon, who is a member of the Theology Department, would not be qualified to address the legal side of Corvino’s argument.
Providence College says organizers are hoping to find a date during the spring semester to hold the same-sex marriage debate.