Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rhody Votes '14: Republicans for Governor Debate
Mon July 23, 2012
Providence council pushing for ward-based approach to road repairs
A special meeting at 6 pm today will take up a push by some Providence City Councilors to use a ward-based approach in making $40 million in envisioned road repairs.
Ward 12 Councilor Terry Hassett says councilors plan to review the bonding authority for the improvements:
“That was one of the concerns among the council members — making sure that anything that is distributed through a bond for infrastructure that the council member has a direct and specific role in terms of what streets would get done, what sidewalks, and where the emphasis should be. That was the concern.”
Dan McGowan, who first reported plans for the meeting tonight, tweets that Mayor Angel Taveras may veto the move. Hassett says an uspecified legal concern might also get in the way of making the repairs on a ward-based approach.