Most Active Stories
- Police Name Child Killed By RIPTA Bus
- TGIF: 19 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The PawSox Baseball Move to Providence: Good or Bad?
- PawSox President James Skeffington On The Case For A Providence Ballpark
Mon February 4, 2013
Providence fire started by child playing with matches
A fire that sent two people to the hospital in critical condition was caused by a child playing with matches. Firefighters say the child was one of the victims.
Five-year-old Christopher Etienne set a mattress and himself on fire when he played with matches Sunday night at a duplex in the Washington Park neighborhood of Providence. Firefighters found him and 43-year-old Christopher Husband lying outside the Virginia Avenue home with severe burns. Acting Providence fire Chief Michael Dillon says the boy was the more seriously injured of the two.
“He sustained second and third degree burns over 85 percent of his body. An adult male at the residence was also injured,” says Dillon. “He sustained second and third degree burns over 30 percent of his body.”
The relationship between the boy and the man was not immediately clear. The fire was confined to a second floor bedroom.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com